And just like that, the holiday season is upon us again! As joyous and festive as the holidays are, the hustle and bustle of buying, cooking, baking, wrapping (where’s the tape!?), and spending time with friends and family can feel hectic and stressful.
Now, add in a global pandemic on top of it - cue overwhelm.
My advice, as your wellness and nutrition coach, to help beat the holiday blues is to start your day off with a solid morning routine that not only makes things easier for you but also saves you valuable time.
The more prepared you are the better, so here are 5 easy tips you can do right now to help start your day off on the right track:
1. Before all else, I start my day with a glass of water. I have a bottle at my bedside that I take 10-12 gulps from as soon as my feet touch the floor. Starting to rehydrate immediately sets me on the right track right away!
2. Set your clothes out the night before - right down to your undergarments. The less thinking you have to do, and last minute digging in the dark the better! In fact, I set them down within reach of the toilet so I can get right to getting dressed.
3. Set your breakfast up the night before. Whether that’s having your smoothie ingredients ready to go, or your coffeemaker pre-set and travel mug beside it, having your first foods and drinks pre-planned, even partially, will save you some time. Have the blender ready with protein powder on the counter and banana beside it. Pre-boil some eggs so you can grab them out of the fridge. Make your oats the night before so you only have to reheat them. All simple steps to making your morning easier.
4. Pack your lunch and snacks the night before. I am a big believer in being prepared to succeed, so I do all my veggie prep and cooking on the weekend. I actually pack my lunches for two days in a row so I can save those extra minutes as well! So easy to do, such little time when everything is already out of the fridge. If reheating foods in the microwave, make sure you pack in glass containers. Much safer for you than plastic.
5. Spend some time for self care, even just 5 minutes! Set an intention for how you want your day to go, meditate, journal your gratitudes, watch the sun rise, do some stretching….or just sit and slowly inhale the aroma of your coffee or tea, and enjoy it down to the last drop.
So, there you go! A few easy tips to help make your morning time a bit easier through this holiday season. Prep your clothes, breakfast and lunch the night before, hydrate first thing, and spend some morning self care time to start your day off right. Whatever you choose to do, enjoy it!
If you need some extra support during stressful times, I want to help. Book a consultation, we can do this together. CLICK HERE
Shirley Van Egmond
Personal Fitness Trainer, Holistic Nutritionist, Niagara on the Lake, Ontario. Helping women over 40 get strong and healthy bodies so they can live their best life!